We use cookies to give you the best experience and to help improve our website.
Find out more about how we use cookies

Building Regulations certificate

Does your new appliance require a Building Regulations Certificate?

If you require a duplicate Building Regulations Compliance Certificate, you can do this online below.

Order replacement Building Regulations Certificate


In England and Wales, the Building Regulations require all Local Authorities (LA) to be informed when a heat producing appliance (boiler, fire etc) is installed in a property.

The Building Regulations and Gas Safe rules of registration require that Gas Safe registered businesses comply with their geographical area regulations by notifying (i.e. self-certifying) any relevant appliances they’ve installed to the LA. If you own your property, the responsibility also falls upon you to ensure that Building Regulations are complied with, so it’s in your interest to ensure that an engineer notifies any installation work.
Building Regulations Certificate

Registered engineers can notify through Gas Safe Register. Once complete, a Building Regulations Compliance Certificate should arrive via post within 10-15 working days. As the certificate belongs to the property, you’ll need to keep it in a safe place as it’ll be useful should you decide to sell your home (to pass onto the next owner) or re-mortgage.

Similar requirements to the above exist in Isle of Man and Guernsey, but not in Scotland and Northern Ireland. For more information on Scottish regulations you can visit the Scottish government website, and further details on the regulations in Northern Ireland are available on the Building Control NI site.

Declaration of Safety Certificate

A Declaration of Safety certificate is produced when a flueless gas cooking appliance (such as a cooker or hob) is notified. These are not covered by the Building Regulations but can be voluntarily notified.

Additional Information

The Local Authority needs to be notified within 30 working days of the completion date of the new installation. You can contact Gas Safe Register to:

  • Check that the engineer has notified the appliance – if so it may be on its way to your property;
  • Order a replacement certificate if yours has been lost – however this does incur a charge.

If the engineer has not notified the job within the 30 days, you’ll need to contact them and ask them to complete the notification as soon as possible. If you’re having trouble with this, you can contact us, or alternatively your Local Authority Building Control Department or Citizens Advice Consumer Services.